Thursday, May 19, 2011

Intensity.


The takeaway from this is that, for all my friends (and myself) that get caught in that cycle of shouldn't do it - did it anyway - hate myself now (or the opposite but equally horrible should-do-it-but-didn't-itis), is that we, as a whole, need to RELAX sometimes. Not relax in our standards - I'm not going to say, aw, just eat 20 cookies once in awhile, you need it - but relax in our self-punishment. 

The modern day world throws a lot of temptations at you every day. Why walk to work when you can jump in a cab? Why spend time packing your lunch when you know there will be pizza after the meeting? Why chomp on your apple slices when everyone else is eating birthday cake? Why deal with explaining to your cousin, AGAIN, that you don't eat grains when you can just eat the damn bread in the basket? Why drag your ass to Crossfit in the rain at 5:45am when you can just hit the alarm and sleep for two more hours? Why cook meat and veggies for dinner when you can just get a burger from Five Guys? Why pay out of pocket for monthly deep tissue massages when you can just forget all this madness, eat your way to oblivion, and let your health insurance pay for all your bills. Why go to the effort of bending over in the shower to wash your stank feet when you can just buy some shoes with sponges in them?

SERIOUSLY?!


And it goes on and on and on.  

What's the solution to this? Give your brain a break. I know that if there's ice cream in the freezer, I will want it til the spoon is in my mouth. So I don't keep ice cream in the freezer. Haven't really figured out how to avoid the candy bowl at work yet. It's a work in progress.  

Today I:
- am on my 2nd nalgene of water
- drank 2 cups of coffee
- slept in til 7:30 (I'll train tonight)
- ate some tuna salad, a pack of paleostix, and a paleocrunch bar. Oh, and about a cup of strawberries. And some jerky. And more strawberries. Kind of a weird day, haha. Dear holy mother of god, the cookies and chips in the work kitchen were calling my name. But I resisted!
- did a crapload of work. 

-Did some stuff at Crossfit Center City (5:30PM):

Mobility: Gastro/Soleus stretch against the wall, Figure 4 against the wall, lots of lax ball work and foam rolling, crazy duck walk/leg swing/arm swing warmup.

Strength: Single Leg Squats
Kind of had a breakthrough with these when I held weight out in front of me to counterbalance myself. They still need work though. Did unassisted to 1 stool, then 10 pounds, then a 12kg KB (that was pretty gross though)


Metcon:
AMRAP 5 minutes
3 KB snatches each arm (1pood)
5 burpees


7 rounds + 1 snatch. Although now I'm doubting my ability to count. I thought it was 7, maybe it was 6? I know I had 3 rounds almost done when Erin said we were 1:15 in. I was surprised (and kind of wanted to die at that point). The snatches were pretty easy. Crazy. 


Some handstand practice after I recovered. Really want that free standing handstand very soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment